Saturday, January 14, 2006

Tracks and Trainwrecks

I'm back in California and it's raining already. The rain's not steady and has been off and on most of the day. The women behind the counter at the video store told me to "Stay Dry", as if that were hard to do.

It was raining when I woke up this morning, but stopped by the time I got out of the shower. It was raining again while I walked to the computer lab, but it's a short walk so I didn't mind.

Last night I went with Brandon and Christopher to The Press. There was something strange about that place last night. Our SoCal class war battlefield bar had been transformed into an older crowd New York cocktail lounge. It was good to be back at The Press with Brandon and Christopher. I missed them. And after our discussion on Tracks and Trainwrecks last night, I knew what my sister meant about being sad I was gone because she doesn't have a lot of smart people to talk to.

This morning my egg and cheese on a honey whole wheat bagel was good, despite the lack of american cheese. Maybe chedder is not all bad.

This is called adaptation.

On the way into town, in the rain, I listened to the new Belle & Sebastian. It was a good soundtrack to my rainy day.



Even the song Another Sunny Day somehow seemed cloudy. I haven't listened to it all the way through yet, but already I like it more than Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Something sounds a bit off about Stuart Murdoch's vocals. They are rather low compared to previous albums. I wonder if his voice is just shot or if this was a concious recording decision.