Friday, February 17, 2006

The Hyped Machine

I thought it would be cool to have an MP3 Blog. I listen to a lot of music and when I hear a song I love I want everyone to know about it. I never went through with it really because I don't have any place to host MP3s at. And I don't want to put them on some site where you have to do this long complicated process to actually get the thing to download. I just want to be able to right-click.

I have posted a few MP3s before on this blog and it's usually connected to a specific entry or it's a song I am absolutely in love with.

With the MP3 blogs I read, it feels like a lot of the time they are posting songs just to post them. To keep up with the other sites, to fuel the hype machine. And because there is so much to go through a lot of the time it turns me off to checking out anything at all.

But I like that almost by accident I will discover something truly great because there is so much variety out there, it really does feel like I'm choosing to hear songs at random.

It was this way I first heard Robyn's Be Mine and The Woes and the Hysterics.

So one of the songs I came across by accident (But not on an MP3 Blog) is this band Witter and their song Perry County.

I'm not really sure what my attraction is to this song. It's kind of similar to the postal service. At times it sounds like this weird hybrid of dance and Emo. But one thing I do like about it is its use of really great 80s reference points. I hear When in Roam's The Promise as well as Kon Kan's I Beg Yr Pardon (I Never Promised You a Rose Garden). But their interest in these songs is not rehashing an 80s aesthetic, nor is it an ironic interest in the new wave.

What this song does do for me is reach at a more emotional form of danceable music that was in bands like Erasure and New Order, something missing from a lot of the 90s, something the postal service tried to achieve on their Give Up album by adding an elements of bedroom pop.

And also, it kinda reminds me of Alphaville's Forever Young.

Witter - Perry County