Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Million Lesser Truths

I've been reading a lot lately about James Frey, author of A Million Little Pieces. This whole smear campaign on Frey seems just stupid. The media is holding on to such hypocritical notions of truth.

If you are unfamiliar with the story, The Smoking Gun revealed that Frey's memoir was in fact, not fact, but a fabrication. This should really be such small potatos except for the fact that Oprah Winfrey's support and utter fascination with this book propelled it to the top of the best seller list. In September Oprah named in her book club selection. By the end of December, it was the most sold book in the country.

Given Oprah's fanbase, I can see how a lot of its readers could feel lied to, but really why aren't we more skeptical of stories like this? This is Truth with a capital T we are talking about here.

According to Frey, he embellished some scenes in the book, to make them more true (with a lower case T) to him. Granted, this caused the story to veer away from the reality of the situation. But then I wonder who's story is this? If it were anyone else besides Frey telling the story I would want cold hard facts, but if its Frey's story, let him tell it the way he wants to. All that should matter are his experiences. If he can better communicate his 2 nights in prison by saying they were 3 weeks, alright. 3 weeks in prison. Got it, continue the story.

If I met Frey at a bar and he were telling me this story over a game of pool, I would call bullshit. I'd let him finish his story, but I'd still call bullshit. I'd buy him a beer afterwards, but you know what? I'd still call bullshit. I may even tell everyone I know that they had to meet this guy and hear his story. It's complete bullshit, but you know what, it's a great story.

I think embellishment is an important part of storytelling. John Cheever once said, "I lie, in order to tell a greater truth." Heather King uses this quote to say that Frey was lieing to tell a lesser truth in her article in Publisher's Weekly. I don't know, I still think this rings true. John Cheever lies to tell a greater truth, something more true than the reality of the situation. I haven't read A Million Pieces, but I imagine that's what Frey had in mind.


The other story that goes along with this is that Frey had originally written this story to be sold as fiction, but his publisher marketed it as a memoir. It seems hypocritical to get so agast by this revelation. When every week there are dozens of television shows marketed as reality that are not only so far away from conveying anything real, but also don't say anything true. But no one seems bothered by this. When is The Smoking Gun going to out The Real World? It is just as guilty as Frey. Every year ex-cast members tour colleges all over America selling the idea that once the cameras started rolling, they stopped being polite and started being real. Just like Frey in every interview. They answer questions ignoring the facts that producers intiated conflict and edited footage to happen in an order more appropriate for television drama.

So good work Smoking Gun, cracking the case of the century. Now they can go back to reporting on incidents involving Jacksonville Panther Cheerleaders in Tampa bar bathrooms.