Friday, May 27, 2005

I Drank Until I Dreamed. When I Dreamed, I Always Dreamed About The Scene

Saw The Hold Steady last night at the North Star Bar. I went with Mike and later on Rob came to meet us. Rob got there just as The Hold Steady were setting up. There were two openers, Langhorne Slim and Eugene Mirman. Langhorne Slim a singer, songwriter, anti-folk superstar. He's way more Woody Guthrie than Bob Dylan. Eugene Mirman was really funny. My favorite joke of his was the one about magicians. "You know who probably hates magicians? Wizards! Where'd the quarter go? It's behind yr ear. I sent that quarter to another dimension!" I like how comedians are way funnier when you see them live. That's probably really good for comedians.

The other good things about the night were I had a really good sandwich at Quiznos. It had honey mustard on it. When we got to the North Star, which took us longer than we planned because 27th sounds a lot like 22nd, the OC was on in the bar. It was a rerun but I watched it for a while. Mike totally kicked my ass in pool. Two games in a row. I realized I shoot better left handed but still continue to play with my right.

My sister and Dana came to hangout for a beer because my sister lives a few blocks away. They couldn't stay long because they had plans to watch Chaotic which is being rerun on MTV on the Thursday after the WB episode I guess. We talked like friends.

I think I forgot to mention how much The Hold Steady ruled. I think every show I've seen this year has been absolutely great. And there are still tons more.

Coming Up:

06/04 - Spoon
06/10 - Old 97's
06/13 - M.I.A.
06/14 - Jonathan Richman
06/18 - Bloc Party
08/13 - Smog